I had the pleasure of doing a dessert spread for a Westminster College graduation party a few weeks ago.
The school colors are purple and gold so that of course had to be incorporated somehow. They requested my chocolate fudge and yellow cake pops as well as brownies and rice krispie pops. They turned out delicious and oh so cute. Enjoy.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- ¾ cup any milk
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz (2 cups) cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cakes: Place a parchment round on the bottom of the pan and coat the sides with baking gloop (aka bakers grease) or nonstick spray.
- Cake Pops: Lightly coat a 9 x 13 pan (or any other pan you want to use)
- Cupcakes: Place cupcake liners in tins.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time then vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture (3 portions) alternating with the milk (2 portions). Start and end with the dry ingredients. Mix only until incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop batter into cake pans half full or divide into cupcake liners filling half full as well.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (cupcakes will be done in ~12 minutes) or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched or the cake passes the toothpick test. Cool 15 minutes in the pans. Turn cakes out onto flat surface, remove cupcakes from tin or dump cake into a big bowl depending on which dessert you are making. Continue with your dessert creation and enjoy.